I had recently posted a tutorial about rooting Galaxy S4 and many users have requested me to provide a rooting guide for HTC One X also as it’s also a flagship android smartphone, in fact, a strong competitor to these Samsung S models. By the way, here we are going to install latest CM 10.1 on your HTC One X with Android 4.2.2 running on RC 2 (Release Candidate ) build.
In order to get access to custom ROMs say, CyanogenMod, you must root your device first. Hence at first, we are guiding you to root your HTC One X in a step by step manner. Rooting high end devices has always been riskier and you must hold the responsibility of your own device and we are not held any guarantee for successful result, though this method has been tested without any problem.
I must say some words before moving ahead about this tutorial. Rooting and installing custom ROMs on your HTC One X may void the warranty and proceed further only if you glad to receive the final results in any manner. However, we will be making our best to explain the process as easy as possible and you can ask your queries via comments below. So. it’s time to root your HTC One X.
How To Root HTC One X
You should backup your confidential files and data before going on. You can backup your contacts/calendar etc via syncing your Google account to the phone and in order to backup other files, it’s advisable to move all important data from internal memory to external storage media. Hope you have done necessary precautions and all the best.
- Keep battery level at least to 60 %
- Enable USB debugging via Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging
- A Windows powered PC, USB cable and phone drivers installed on your computer.
Here we go..
- Download THIS FILE and copy to desktop.
- Switch off your phone and enter into bootloader mode by pressing Volume Down Key and then Power Key simultaneously.
- After entering into bootloader mode, just wait for 10 seconds and then connect your phone to PC with USB cable.
- After phone is being detected by the computer, open “install-superboot-windows” from the downloaded file in the desktop.
- Follow those procedures shown in the tool and wait for a while to root your phone. You will get a message that your has successfully rooted and then you can unplug your phone from computer.
The first step, aka, rooting HTC One X has been done now. Now reboot your phone and install root checker app from play store to check whether your phone has been rooted properly.
On the second step, we are going to install the most powerful custom ROM for your HTC One X.CyanogenMod 10.1 built for One X is extra stable and super fast. It’s great in terms of battery life and I’m sure you will definitely like it.
Installing CWM (ClockWorkMod) Recovery on HTC One X
Unlock your bootloader first before installing CWM recovery. For unlocking bootloader, click HERE
- Connect your One X to PC with debugging mode on.
- Download CWM file from HERE and copy to your computer
- Now open “My computer” and move onto “ C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools” and Copy the downloaded Clockwork Mod Recovery (on step 2) file to the folder.
- Now power off your phone , press and hold Volume Down + Power and get into “fastboot” menu from the bootloader menu.
- Now open a command prompt. For this, Press and hold the shift key and right click in the folder window then choose “Open Command Window Here”. Now type “fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-220.127.116.11-endeavoru.img” in the command and hit enter. After that, type ”fastboot reboot” in command and let it reboot your phone.
Now you have installed CWM recovery on your HTC One X. Now install the CWM app from play store (HERE) . All done about CWM installation. Now you are ready to install/flash any ROMs or scripts on your phone.
Installing CyanogenMod 10.1 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on HTC One X
- Download latest CM 10.1 for HTC One X from HERE . Copy it to a safe place and never ever extract it. Let it take rest there.
- Download latest Gapps from HERE for Android 4.2.2 (Note : install the file matched to 4.2.2 version and other version’s gapps like 4.2.1 or 4.1 may not work well )]
- Now connect your phone to computer and copy both CM 10.1 and Gapps to your SD-Card.
- Enter your phone into recovery mode and make a NANDROID backup for safety.
- Now again come to the recovery home and do “wipe data/ factory reset”.
Then select “install zip from sdcard” and load CM 10.1 file and gapps file (both files are in ZIP format) respectively one after one manner.
Once both files are been flashed , you can select “reboot system now” option and by doing so, your phone will automatically reboot. Note that the first boot may take up to 10 minutes. So don’t worry about that. WOOHOO. Lets recollect what you have done through this awesome tutorial.
- Rooted your HTC One X first
- Installed CWM recovery
- Installed latest CyanogenMod 10.1 running on android 4.2.2
We have taken lots of time to write this lengthy guide. So, your feedbacks are highly appreciated. Also Share and comment your reactions as well.